Friday, April 5, 2013

Song Share: Second Hand News by Fleetwood Mac

I recently came across an excellent classic Fleetwood Mac song that I had never ever heard before. The lead track to the landmark album, Rumours, it took me completely by surprise.

I've always liked Fleetwood Mac, but never really thought they were brilliant. Talented pop writers who had a few classics like "Big Love," "Little Lies," and "Medium Antipathy," sure, but I never really thought that they had the capability for something truly superb.

But with an even beat, strong melody, and extremely capable vocal mixing that blends Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham and doesn't actually sound like a goat singing a duet with the Marlboro Man, "Second Hand News" is plainly one of their very best, if not their best. And I know I am prone to hyperbole, but it's no exaggeration to say that the 'pow pow pow pow' chorus is the best thing that has happened to all of humanity including bubble gum ice cream and conscious thought.

What's more, it's surprisingly clean, given that the entire band has been having an affair with themselves for their entire existence. And get this: the bridge is about mowing the lawn, my very favorite house chore! Who doesn't appreciate a great tune about good clean yard work? Not me! Because I appreciate it a lot.


No comments: