Thursday, June 27, 2013

Book Reviews: Various

Howdy, all. Sorry I've been scarce; I've been a-traveling. I'll put up a post about the recent travels this weekend. But first, to catch up on my various books!

First up, the family history book about Julian & ...Lorilla, possibly. It's been at least weeks and I'm not sure I remember all the names. The book was good! Very interesting in parts. Sort of repetitive, though, and it had a tendency to tell a short version of someone's life and then you'd read an extended version of their life a few pages later. Regardless, I liked seeing some parallels from myself in some of our relatives.

Next up...



The New England Grimpendium, by J.W. Ocker. This was an OK book-certainly an interesting idea. It's from an author/blogger that I occasionally follow. This was on my wishlist for a long time. He visited a ton of 'dark' locations in New England and wrote a travelogue about it. Many of the locations were haunted houses and such, but most were someone's tombstone, or the scene of a famous murder, or so and so's home, and so on. Probably worth a library check-out rather than a purchase. Overall, an OK read.

Next up...


Ghosts and More Ghosts, by Robert Arthur. Now truthfully, I bought this book for the cover. I found it on a website somewhere and thought the cover was absolutely awesome. Of course hen the book arrived, it had the insanely stupid cover depicted above. The cover I thought I was getting is...


Yeah. So... Anyway, I got the stupid cover back when the book was like $3, and now for some reason the book is $25. I must have bought the last inexpensive copy. I will keep an eye out for it because I am 100% in favor of owning books just to have them look cool. So there.

Inside, the stories were surprisingly good. They're all from this guy who wrote for various odd magazines in the 1940s, so the stories are all quite clean and interesting. A little predictable, with modern entertainment having done some variation of many of the stories many times over for the last several decades, but otherwise a good read.

Oh, and the funny thing: there are no ghosts in this book. At all. There is one monster, and one story 'about' a ghost but which doesn't actually feature a ghost at all. Most of the stories are about supernaturalish stuff like getting special powers or finding objects with abilities or things like that. It should have been called "Vaguely Supernatural Tales."

And finally, I swear I read a church one...what the heck was it....something.....eh maybe not. I thought I did but it's not coming to mind, so I guess not? It seems like I intended to read one.

Currently I'm reading a 'horror' anthology called The Dark, which is OK. "Horror" stories are notoriously not remotely scary, but it's been on my shelf for ages and I've vowed to read every last book that has been gathering dust before I allow myself to accumulate any more. So stay tuned for a report on that one in a week!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

If you purchased through Amazon, you can probably return the bad cover book saying it isn't what you expected. I think I would -- covers are important!

Christian said...

I buy 95% of my life on Amazon, including that book, but unfortunately I bought it used. I can return it but as an Amazon seller myself, I know what a pain that is for both parties. Fortunately the price has started to come back down...maybe Santa will hook me up?...