Monday, November 3, 2008

Huh?

I'll sometimes pop over to National Review's website for the occasional piece of political wisdom, although their work is fairly uneven. Normally I enjoy Jay Nordlinger's 'slice of life' writing style, though, but I have to admit his post today is absolutely baffling. I don't have the slightest idea what on earth he's talking about. Can anyone decipher?

Channeling Kingsley Amis [Jay Nordlinger]
I wish to tell one of my favorite stories out of British politics. It is Election Day 1970, and the Conservatives, led by Ted Heath, have pulled off a victory against Labour, led by Harold Wilson. Ken Tynan, sitting at a bar, is despondent. And Kingsley Amis is on a table dancing, saying, “Show the shaggers, show the shaggers! Five more years outside the barbed wire!”

I say, in the same spirit, “Come on, Americans, show the shaggers [or whatever your favorite national equivalent is]! Four more years outside the barbed wire!”

2 comments:

Hillary said...

It makes more sense than this Joe Biden quote:

"My sister is smart, runs every one of my campaigns, is beautiful. Graduated with honors from college. Is homecoming queen, but shes a -- she is what I call a girl-boy growing up, you know what I mean? And I tell you what. Girl-girls are tougher than girl-boys. But there's one important thing I noticed. the great thing about marrying into a family with five sisters, theres always one that loves you. Cause you can count on splitting them a bit. You know what I mean?

I shouldnt be going off like this, but..."

Anonymous said...

To both I say "Huh?".