Sunday, October 12, 2008

Dinner, Mr. Wayne?

I just watched my first John Wayne movie. He's really good-very understated, not at all like the over the top impressions. Kind of like Jimmy Stewart that way. "Rio Bravo" was the movie-I must be conditioned to gritty/realistic modern movies, because the entire time I was pretty sure that everyone was going to get killed or horribly tortured. Instead, John Wayne and Dean Martin had the one-up on the bad guys the entire movie, and it had a happy ending and several actually pretty good 50's songs, courtesy of Dean Martin who played a cowboy who inexplicably had a New York accent and could sing like a 50's blues crooner. It's kind of funny that in the 50s you could just cast whoever was famous in music right then and they could actually act without looking like an idiot. Movies were probably better when they didn't take themselves quite so serious.

Really, what male vocalist today could you cast in a movie and have him act naturally? Rob Thomas?

1 comment:

Paige said...

I really like the picture you drew of John Wayne. It pretty much looks like him. I'm so excited that you are starting a blog! Yeah!